Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Is it better to finish bare cedar deck with just oil, or a wood toner?

I used a semi-transparent stain last year and it looks pretty bad now. I'm replacing a lot of the cedar, and restoring (planing %26amp; sanding) the rest.





I've had some people tell me to use plain Linseed oil, or Pennington oil (spelling?), with no other treatment. I've also had some peole recommend stain or toner.





What are your recommendations?





Thanks...Is it better to finish bare cedar deck with just oil, or a wood toner?
We had cedar gutters on my parents house. We linseeded them every year. They lasted over 40 years. I never tried it on a deck! I have always used Cabot deck stain on my decks.Is it better to finish bare cedar deck with just oil, or a wood toner?
If you want the natural beauty of the cedar to show use linseed oil or one of the clear sealers from Behr, Thompsons, or several others. Lots of good products out there. It really depends on your personal choice.
Never messed with cedar much but have been told that automatic transmission fluid will really bring out the beauty and preserve well at the same time. I would pressure wash it first

No comments:

Post a Comment